Thursday 22 September 2016

Sparrows Den Relays - Being Attentive...

Week two of the cross country season and another set of relays beckon in the form of the Will Bolton Memorial race at Sparrows Den. 

With the calendar so busy, it's great to see that the local open races like this one still survive and are well supported by the surrounding area's clubs. It's also great practice for the fast approaching South of England relays - which are in Bedford of all places.

This event immediately presented a problem for me in the form of our newly purchased gazebo, which seemed like such a good idea at the time of fundraising. I mostly have a hate relationship with our team tents. In the past, we've had a mini festival pop up version which is just about big enough to shelter a pair of spikes. Inevitably the tent meets its demise where is ceremonially lobbed into the nearest skip normally at the end of the season. 

National Cross-County 2015...
Or sometimes it doesn't even make the start-line. I infamously once tried to save the club money by purchasing one from a retailer that rhymes with Warts Pearled. Rather unfortunately, I had failed to notice a slogan on the side of it, which was deemed ill fit for purpose by the young athlete’s parents.


They had a point.

That tent is now in Calais.

Or how about the time in Sunderland after the National Cross in 2012, when I couldn't feel my feet, any of my face or indeed my hands. I nearly lobbed it into a nearby field after a meltdown, all the while egged on by colleagues David and Martin who were just as fed up as I was.... 

Tents to me then, are not like Clare Balding and her Olympic trolley…

This time, I'd parked in the wrong car park and had to lug the thing single-handedly about 400m. That could be fun at Parliament Hill...

This of course was quickly forgotten when it started raining and the team quickly took shelter.
"It's a nice tent this" said one of the kids, blissfully unaware of the effort it took to get it there.

After the young athletes relays, it was my turn to race, by which time I’d almost forgotten that I actually had to run. Sticking myself on last leg (slowest on last you see), my team were somewhere in the middle of the field. As my incoming runner approached, South London's John Foss (arguably one of the best Masters runners in the UK with medals to match) wished me luck. It is tradition for me to belt off at a pace I can't maintain and be quickly caught by Foss no matter what the distance we run. Perhaps with a head start I could just about hold on. 

400m in, it was clear no one in front of me would be coming back to me any time soon. They were quickly vanishing specs on the horizon. I glanced back to see John about 300m back. I'd have to cling on.

The course at West Wickham is short but tricky with two sharp hills which basically kill me off every time. Halfway through, the race also runs adjacent to a road where I failed my driving test on three occasions. This was apt as I was struggling to get out of 2nd gear (boom tish I'm here all week...).

Approaching the final field, to my complete shock I caught a Blackheath athlete down a narrow path. So narrow, I couldn't get past. I could feel a queue forming behind me. Into the final field I braced myself for being inevitably caught by the masses. Thankfully it was just one Tonbridge lady, proof that their conveyor belt of athletes is still very much functioning. I clung on for as long as I could, while overtaking the Blackheath guy but it wasn’t long before she got away. I ran past my car…400m to go then and still no sign of John - maybe I’d just hold on this time.
Kill me now...
The final stretch was a blur. I’d be interested to know what other athletes go through in the final stretches of races, mine tends to be a pained fog.

I crossed the line, a grand total of one second faster than last year. Not quite as disastrous as the Surrey Relays then. John followed in shortly after me having run significantly faster than I had mustered so really he was the real winner. The team were tucked away safely in the middle of the field in 18th out of 55.
Not feeling treemendous

Right on cue on the heavens opened, and with us all being completely shattered, our final task of the day was to put away the flipping tent. It may well be the death of me. Thank goodness for Keith helping me to drag the beast to my car.


A small step in the right direction running-wise…now I’ve just got to get to Bedford...

No comments:

Post a Comment